Unexpectedly Intriguing!
July 25, 2011

Who donated money to U.S. charities in 2010? And how much money did they give?

Via the National Park Service (really!), who tapped the 2010 report on charitable giving produced by the American Association of Fundraising Council, through Giving USA, we have the answers to these two questions! The chart below summarize what we found:

Charitable Donations by Source in the United States in 2010, Billions of U.S. Dollars

Overall, 72.8% of the estimated total of $290.89 billion for all estimated charitable contributions in 2010 were donated by American individuals and households, or $211.77 billion.

Going by tax data reported by the CBO for 2008, approximately 87% of these charitable donations by individuals and households were claimed on U.S. income tax returns. The remaining 13% were made by Americans who did not itemize their charitable giving on their tax returns.

Previously on Political Calculations

  • Tax Deductions for Charity by Income Level - here, we determined the amount of charitable contributions by income level for the 87% of individual and households who itemized their charitable donations on their tax returns!

Data Sources

Giving USA Foundation. U.S. Charitable Giving Shows Modest Uptick in 2010 Following Two Years of Declines. 20 June 2011.

Congressional Budget Office. Options for Changing the Tax Treatment of Charitable Giving. Table 1 - Charitable Contributions by Tax Filers' Itemizing Status and Income Group, 2008. May 2011.


About Political Calculations

blog advertising
is good for you

Welcome to the blogosphere's toolchest! Here, unlike other blogs dedicated to analyzing current events, we create easy-to-use, simple tools to do the math related to them so you can get in on the action too! If you would like to learn more about these tools, or if you would like to contribute ideas to develop for this blog, please e-mail us at:

ironman at politicalcalculations.com

Thanks in advance!

Recent Posts


This year, we'll be experimenting with a number of apps to bring more of a current events focus to Political Calculations - we're test driving the app(s) below!

Most Popular Posts
Quick Index

Site Data

This site is primarily powered by:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Visitors since December 6, 2004:

CSS Validation

Valid CSS!

RSS Site Feed

AddThis Feed Button


The tools on this site are built using JavaScript. If you would like to learn more, one of the best free resources on the web is available at W3Schools.com.

Other Cool Resources

Blog Roll

Market Links
Charities We Support
Recommended Reading
Recommended Viewing
Recently Shopped

Seeking Alpha Certified

Legal Disclaimer

Materials on this website are published by Political Calculations to provide visitors with free information and insights regarding the incentives created by the laws and policies described. However, this website is not designed for the purpose of providing legal, medical or financial advice to individuals. Visitors should not rely upon information on this website as a substitute for personal legal, medical or financial advice. While we make every effort to provide accurate website information, laws can change and inaccuracies happen despite our best efforts. If you have an individual problem, you should seek advice from a licensed professional in your state, i.e., by a competent authority with specialized knowledge who can apply it to the particular circumstances of your case.