Unexpectedly Intriguing!
March 31, 2005

Bruce Bartlett's recent column Tax Rates has some interesting math that I've decided to immortalize with a tool here at Political Calculations(TM). Since the math revolves around information you have in your 2004 Form 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (reference this 180.2KB PDF document), I'll give you a few minutes to complete your return, if you haven't already, and have it ready to use with the calculator....

Okay, now that you've finished your return, let's put it to good use. We're going to calculate your average tax rate (the amount of taxes you paid relative to your income) and your marginal tax rate for 2004, or rather, the tax rate you paid on the highest dollar of your earnings last year. As noted in Bruce Bartlett's column, this latter information is really useful if you are planning to choose between a taxable versus a tax-exempt investment, since your marginal tax rate will determine which is more beneficial to you. Start by entering the indicated information from your 1040 form in the data input fields below, followed by your potential investment data:

1040 Tax Return Data for 2004
Input Data Values
Line 62: Taxes You Owe ($USD)
Line 22: Your Total Income ($USD)
Line 8b: Income from Tax Exempt Bonds ($USD)
Your Filing Status
Line 42: Your Taxable Income ($USD)
Potential Investment Information
Spread Between Taxable and Tax-Exempt Investment (%)

Tax Rates and Preferred Investment Choice
Calculated Results Values
Your Average Tax Rate (%)
Your Marginal Tax Rate (%)
Preferred Investment Type

Hopefully, this calculator has helped you make an investing decision based on your taxes from last year. If you expect that your income will be significantly different this year, you should re-run the calculator with new values to account for the difference, since it may make a world of difference in your choice of investments.

Update: Via e-mail, Bruce Bartlett notes the marginal tax rate computed by this calculator represents:

a first approximation of one's rate, because phase-outs and other provisions can greatly affect the rate one pays on a particular range of income.

The effects of these phase-outs and other provisions are important to note - you may find that once your income creeps above one of the many arbitrary income thresholds that define whether or not you are eligible for a particular allowance, deduction or tax credit, that it may be more advantageous to put your money in a tax-exempt investment even if the raw marginal tax rate determined by this calculator indicates you would be better off with a taxable one. Chalk another headache up to our ever growing more complicated tax code....

Labels: , ,

About Political Calculations

Welcome to the blogosphere's toolchest! Here, unlike other blogs dedicated to analyzing current events, we create easy-to-use, simple tools to do the math related to them so you can get in on the action too! If you would like to learn more about these tools, or if you would like to contribute ideas to develop for this blog, please e-mail us at:

ironman at politicalcalculations.com

Thanks in advance!

Recent Posts

Stock Charts and News

Most Popular Posts
Quick Index

Site Data

This site is primarily powered by:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

CSS Validation

Valid CSS!

RSS Site Feed

AddThis Feed Button


The tools on this site are built using JavaScript. If you would like to learn more, one of the best free resources on the web is available at W3Schools.com.

Other Cool Resources

Blog Roll

Market Links

Useful Election Data
Charities We Support
Shopping Guides
Recommended Reading
Recently Shopped

Seeking Alpha Certified

Legal Disclaimer

Materials on this website are published by Political Calculations to provide visitors with free information and insights regarding the incentives created by the laws and policies described. However, this website is not designed for the purpose of providing legal, medical or financial advice to individuals. Visitors should not rely upon information on this website as a substitute for personal legal, medical or financial advice. While we make every effort to provide accurate website information, laws can change and inaccuracies happen despite our best efforts. If you have an individual problem, you should seek advice from a licensed professional in your state, i.e., by a competent authority with specialized knowledge who can apply it to the particular circumstances of your case.