Unexpectedly Intriguing!
10 March 2011

We introduced a portion of the data yesterday, as we compared the number of people earning today's $7.25 per hour federal minimum wage or less with those earning the same amount back in 2006, so today, we're going to visualize a portion of the BLS' very-recently released data on the characteristics of U.S. minimum wage workers in 2010.

First up, let's break down the average number of minimum wage workers in 2010 by their age group:

Number of Individuals Earning the U.S. Federal Minimum Wage ($7.25 per Hour) or Less by Age Group, 2010

Overall, teens (Age 16-19) make up 22.8% of all individuals who earned the federal minimum wage or less in 2010, while young adults (Age 20-24) represented 26.2% of all minimum wage earners, for a combined representation of 49.0%.

The next largest group, those between the ages of 25 and 29, accounted for 11.5% of all minimum wage earners, while all the remaining age groups have a percentage representation in the single digits.

Next, let's look at what the distribution of 2010's minimum wage workers looks like with respect to both their age and their gender.

Distribution of Individuals Earning the U.S. Federal Minimum Wage ($7.25 per Hour) or Less by Age Group and Gender, 2010

Once again, we find that the youngest workers have the heaviest concentration within the minimum-wage earning workforce. We find however that women are disproportionately represented within that minimum-wage earning workforce, accounting for 63.0% of all minimum wage workers, or rather, nearly two out of every three minimum wage earning jobs.

That disproportionate share carries across all age groups. Here, we find the lowest percentage share of women in the minimum wage earning workforce for the Age 60-64 group, which is closely followed by teenagers, who account for the lowest percentage share of women at 58.5%. By contrast, women between the ages of 45 and 49 have the largest percentage share for women earning the federal minimum wage within a given age group, representing 73.1% of all minimum wage earners in that age range.

Our final chart considers the number of people counted as earning the federal minimum wage of $7.25 or less in 2010 by their level of educational attainment:

Number of Individuals Earning the U.S. Federal Minimum Wage ($7.85 per Hour) or Less by Education Level, 2010

Here, we find that minimum wage earners are most likely to have some college education, but no degree, as this group accounts for 31% of all minimum wage earners. These individuals are closely followed by those who have just high school diplomas, but no college education, who represent 29% of all minimum wage earners, and by people having earned less than a high school diploma, who represent 28% of all minimum wage earners.

Combining these percentages, we find that 88% of minimum wage earners are accounted for by people who have not earned a college degree of any kind.


U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2010


About Political Calculations

Welcome to the blogosphere's toolchest! Here, unlike other blogs dedicated to analyzing current events, we create easy-to-use, simple tools to do the math related to them so you can get in on the action too! If you would like to learn more about these tools, or if you would like to contribute ideas to develop for this blog, please e-mail us at:

ironman at politicalcalculations.com

Thanks in advance!

Recent Posts

Indices, Futures, and Bonds

Closing values for previous trading day.

Most Popular Posts
Quick Index

Site Data

This site is primarily powered by:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

CSS Validation

Valid CSS!

RSS Site Feed

AddThis Feed Button


The tools on this site are built using JavaScript. If you would like to learn more, one of the best free resources on the web is available at W3Schools.com.

Other Cool Resources

Blog Roll

Market Links

Useful Election Data
Charities We Support
Shopping Guides
Recommended Reading
Recently Shopped

Seeking Alpha Certified

Legal Disclaimer

Materials on this website are published by Political Calculations to provide visitors with free information and insights regarding the incentives created by the laws and policies described. However, this website is not designed for the purpose of providing legal, medical or financial advice to individuals. Visitors should not rely upon information on this website as a substitute for personal legal, medical or financial advice. While we make every effort to provide accurate website information, laws can change and inaccuracies happen despite our best efforts. If you have an individual problem, you should seek advice from a licensed professional in your state, i.e., by a competent authority with specialized knowledge who can apply it to the particular circumstances of your case.